It’s never easy being a mom, juggling a full-time career and taking the impossible task of ensuring that your family has it all. Beyond any doubt, it can be exhausting and at the same time, expect nothing in return. However, it doesn’t have to be this way!
Worry not and take it easy, as here are some helpful tips to help all working moms fulfill their role as an employer or employee, a mother and a wife.
#TIP 1. LET GO OF ‘MOM GUILT’
While some mothers decide to be a stay-at-home mom, others choose to work as they do not have the option of being a homemaker or the fact that they don’t want to give up on their career dreams. Whatever the reason may be, the decision to be a working mother is something that should be looked up to and admired and not being judged or shamed on. Do not let the guilt of leaving your children at the daycare eat you up.
It’s time to let go of the ‘mom guilt’ and focus on the many positive things you’re contributing to your family, which includes your children too.
#TIP 2. PLAN YOUR TIME
To say that everyone is busy these days is an understatement, but if you’re a working mom, chances are that you’re too busy to even get some time off for yourself.
Being a mom requires multitasking skills and one of the best multitasking components is time saving hacks. Let it be for work, to care for others or for your own purpose, time saving hacks is the best way to get most of your work done in the least amount of time.
What you can do is to plan your time strategically and use shortcuts to help you with your daily chores. This includes:
- First and foremost, you’ve got to stay organised. Use calendars and lists to help you plan the week ahead.
- Order your groceries online and have them delivered to your house.
- Divide the errands with your husband.
- Take charge of the errands that are closer to your office and do the same for your husband too. This way you both get to make quick errands in between lunch break or after work to free up more time for the weekends.
- Prepare work outfits the night before so that you’ll have extra time to get ready and you don’t have to rush getting out of the front door.
- Lastly, prepare your lunch the night before along with your children’s breakfast. This way you don’t have to be up early to put everything together.
#TIP 3. TURN HOUSEHOLD CHORES INTO FAMILY ACTIVITIES
Sometimes it is challenging to get everything done on the weekdays. This is why many moms sacrifice their weekends to ensure that all necessary chores are complete.
Make these chores a family activity. This way, you get to spend time with your family. Later that night, once all chores have been completed, have a family game night or go for a movie together or you could even whip up something in the kitchen together.
If you have teenagers at home, ask them for ideas and let them get involved in deciding where to go or what to do.
#TIP 4. KEEP THE MAGIC ALIVE WITH YOUR PARTNER
Is your sex life being affected from the stress built up from your job and just the mere thoughts of raising kids?
It is common for mothers to have a dry spell in their sex life after becoming a parent. Being a mother yourself, you tend to get distracted easily as you ensure that your child gets the necessary affection and attention needed. As you give most of your time to your child, there’s a possibility that you’re neglecting your partner. This may be a reason why the romance in your marriage is no longer there.
The key to balancing your marriage after becoming a parent is to treat each other as lovers again where communication is the biggest tool in improving your intimacy.
Some possible ways are:
- Give your partner some compliments when you see him dressed well.
- Acknowledge your partner with a loving look, affectionate touch, a hug or any kind of greeting that shows that you love him.
- Do exciting things together or go for a movie or have a dinner date together without the children around as the both of you deserve some time alone.
These gestures would help maintain a healthy, loving and intimate relationship with your better half.
#TIP 5. ALLOW YOURSELF SOME ‘ME TIME’
It’s a habit for all mothers to put the needs of others before theirs and finding time for yourself can be a little tough especially when you have young children that are still clinging to your legs.
However, this shouldn’t stop you from having some ‘Me Time’ to help you maintain inner peace within yourself.
On a regular basis, allocate some time for yourself to carry out activities that will allow you to relax. Some ideas may include:
- Writing a journal
- Exercises like yoga, meditation or going for a jog
- Pamper yourself through spa, manicure or pedicure
- Catch up with a friend
As a mother, it is definitely possible to succeed in your career as well as have an active role as a parent. Having said that, your children will look up to you as the fearless role model who is able to achieve her dreams and balance family life together.
Sources: Working Mother, Family Education