Have you ever had a pink eye or had friends or family members speak about having a pink eye? For those who aren’t familiar with what pink eye is all about, worry not, as we’re here to help you have a better understanding of pink eye and provide a few home remedies for this infectious eye condition.
What Is Pink Eye?
Pink eye or better known as conjunctivitis is an infection that occurs in the conjunctiva (transparent membrane that lines the sclera). This infection aggravates your conjunctiva and leads to inflamed eyes, which is why your eyes appear to be reddish or pink.
To help you deal with this itchy and uncomfortable condition, here are some steps and precautions you can take to prevent the progression of pink eye.
- Use a clean cloth and soak it in warm water before placing it over your eyes for a couple of minutes.
- If you have an infectious pink eye, avoid using the same washcloth as you don’t want the infection to spread from one eye to the other.
- When your eye is infected, it is best to steer clear from wearing contact lenses as it could aggravate your condition and worsen your symptoms.
- Good hygiene is the key to preventing the infection from spreading to your other eye or to others. Some of the steps you should take note of are:
- Change your bedsheets and pillowcases everyday.
- Use fresh towels daily and do not share your washcloth with others around you.
- Lastly, wash your hands as often as possible.
Sources: WebMD, Healthline